Here’s important safety advice from the Good Housekeeping Research Institute regarding a better informed purchase, installation and usage of backyard playground equipment.
- Be sure there are guard rails for all play surfaces and platforms higher than 2.5 feet.
- Choose from backyard playsets with clear manufacturer instructions about safe usage, installation, anchoring and maintenance.
- Look for playsets with lightweight swing seats, like those made of flexible rubber or soft plastic. Hard seats in motion can collide with children and cause traumatic bodily injuries.
- Grass and dirt aren’t enough to protect children during a fall. Cover the area under and around your swing set with 6 to 12 inches (depending upon the height of the playset) of wood chips, sand or mulch.
- Set up your playset in a level area free of rocks, roots or other objects that could cause injury.
Read more: Outdoor Playsets Advice at Good Housekeeping